Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Thanksgiving: Tribute to my Teachers

The highest temperature of Beijing reached 38 degrees centigrade on Sunday. Beijing Observatory issued a high temperature orange early-warning signal on 2 p.m.. Xinhua

Got my first-choice for my Year 3 subjects! =)

English News Writing: Prof. Li Kun
When PKU withheld my acceptance letter, Prof. Li was the kind saviour who footed the 400rmb in advance for me. In a sense, I knew her before I even arrived in Peking, and certainly didn't wasn't expect her to be the teacher of my core replacement subject. Ours was in fact her first undergraduate class (she's been teaching graduate students). Although English News Writing & Reporting in CS would have been more tailored to my needs, Prof. Li was my motivation to read the news and really pay attention in class. Hee... Oh, and she got me the school's fifth anniversary tee too! =)















中国文化史:王锦贵老师
I went for his first lecture, and thought, "Yes! This is for me!" There was no way I could really go in-depth into the study of Chinese culture, so this module gave me a good overview. However, in the weeks that followed, the lectures got dry especially on topics like materials used in book-production...and pictures in his first lect never appeared again! Then again, I had to hang on...and I believe it paid off. I learnt a lot through the textbook during exam prep, more than all my other subjects. One thing I will remember of 王老师: He's VERY proud of China!!!















东南亚文化:吴杰伟老师
老乡!吴老师's from Fujian Province... =) Maybe because the class was small, there was never really a lecturer-student hierarchy with him. There's humour in his candour and I remember what he said about us being free to do anything if we think it is more beneficial than listening to his lecture. ;)















爱的心理学:李同归老师
English ppt and Chinese teaching. To be honest, 李老师 still feels distant...its as if the ice never broke between he and the class. But I was thankful the jigsaws finally fitted together during the exam prep, and I now understand the Attachment Theory he stressed so much upon.















英译汉:孔宪倬老师
From the English department... Before she starts lecturing, 孔老师 would say, "Ok... there goes the bell. Let's begin." In actual fact, nobody heard anything. ;) At the end of taking this Translation module, I find the theory portion a tough bit for Singaporeans. When we translate, most of us go ahead with our feeling and what we've been used to, in hearing and speaking. This module had a part on rhetoric, where to position the subject, verb, adjective in each language etc. Chimmm...















中国电影史:李道新老师
The movie guy! I guess teachers like him possess this artistic flair...They not only notice the technical skills ie. angle, movement, but also the abstract meaning and theme in films through character portrayal. With a lecture of 800+ students, and there was no way I would voice out my opinion on the films in Chinese, 李老师 remains a distant respectable teacher.















民俗学:陈泳超老师
As I'm typing this, his subject is at the back of my mind. My last paper!!! The others told me that 陈老师 is the most well-versed in Folk Lore in PKU, so it is somewhat an honour to be taught by him. He's the kind of teacher who can crack a joke keeping a stern face, but reprimand students (yes, even at the uni level) when need be... Amiable!















乒乓:吴飞教练
How God works huh... I signed up for her ping pong class right from the beginning, but she ended up switching slots with another coach. And so, I spent half a semester under 顾玉标教练 (whom I thank for laying my foundation)。 After the Labour Day holz however, being on a ping pong high and with much persuasion from Jian Kang, I began attending her 8am class. She's cool...really, being in the national team herself. Remember her showing her disappointment once to the class when many ponned, some came late, and one girl came in high heels...Aye...















自卫防身:张锐教练
The Power Woman! 张老师 totally reflects what I expected a Chinese teacher to be. It wasn't just self-defence that she taught. It came as a package to help us bring what we've learnt in that 地厅 out into the world, and her vision for the course was to 保护生命和健康。Haik!




















I found all my teachers approachable and genuinely concerned about their students. 十分亲切!They have played a huge part in contributing to my rewarding exchange experience in PKU!

致敬!

gRacE =)

No comments:

Post a Comment