Monday, June 5, 2006

Do Not...!

If I’ve learnt anything today, that is: Do not attempt to alter your assignment at the very last minute.

I was studying for History of Chinese Culture when I came across Confucianism’s filial piety and was struck by how one of the Ten Commandants tied in. And so, I decided to add that little something into my paper. By the time I was done, I had half an hour to the start of my exam, I had yet to get changed, and I needed to print the assignment.

I got to Kai Qin’s 10-cents-per-page printing shop, and the in-charge, back facing me, mumbled something upon my entry. I said I wanted to print, and stood there for a minute, waiting to be served. Not wanting to waste anymore time, I asked if I could use the available computer, to which he repeated, back facing me, what he had mumbled, “晚上再来打印...” At night?!!

The second shop that I went to was packed with people. The third had suddenly converted to a photography booth!

I did manage to find a fourth printing shop that charged 20 cents per page. Fine, I thought, until my assignment came out double-sided. Argggggh!!! By that time, I had ten minutes to the start of my exam. After collecting the sheets from my second printing, I returned to the computer to retrieve my thumbdrive. The guy behind me had conveniently plugged it out without the proper ejection. Grrrrrowl!

I arrived at the exam venue ON TIME. The papers had been given out, and all seats appeared to have been taken. Can you believe it…I spent the first 15min taking my paper standing up! They didn’t care that I had my bag with me and they didn’t check my student identification. I was sooooo amused I caught myself smiling. =P

The kind teaching assistant did find me a seat between two Korean girls eventually, and many other latecomers were ushered into the classroom next door. The bulk of the paper was regurgitation. One, very likely to be used as a grade-distinguishing factor, asked for your opinion on traditional Chinese festivals. Hoooray! I completed the paper on time!

Walking to the back of the room to retrieve my bag (which I had left when moving to the seat), a couple of Korean guys at the last row turned back with expectant eyes. “同学...(with notes and exam paper still in hand) 这书里面有吗?” Hehhhhh…

15 minutes after my paper had been collected, the students next door were still taking the paper. Hehhhh…?! Meiying didn’t complete her paper and she protested vehemently. Grrrrrowl!

So much for my first paper in PKU.

Back at the hostel, the bathroom light was out again. For the second time this semester, I went down to inform the 楼长 “三层浴室的灯坏了”. He paused, pondered, looked at me and asked, “三层???” I nodded…and then realised that I meant to say “三号楼四层”. The third level only has male bathrooms!!!

For the record, last night, I locked my roomie in the room when I went to the toilet. Well at least now she knows how safe our room is! I really lock it every single time I’m out! =P

Looking back, I can still be thankful. Really appreciate mama for bringing bird’s nest all the way from Singapore for this exam period.















This morning, she came excitedly to my room not only with breakfast, but a much-needed fan from the market! What more can I ask for?

I thank God for my favourite 雪菜肉丝面, and the fact that Eric’s weighing scale didn’t shock me. ;)

One paper down; five to go.

gRacE =)

No comments:

Post a Comment