Monday, June 12, 2006

Journalism

My losses…4A’s gathering, many once-in-a-lifetime 21st birthday celebrations, Kristal and Esther’s return, church camp… 终于领悟到有得必有失的道理……

The first thought when I awoke this morning was, “I’m leaving next Sat…” As I tossed and turned in bed, I couldn’t really decide what to do for today. I knew I had to write two pieces of hard news, and they were to be about Shaoyuan and the recent suspension of the 周末文化市场, but where do I start?

Thankful. Knowing that Eric bought 1000rmb worth of books in PKU, I needed his opinion on his favourite haunt’s suspension. Also through him, I managed to get the contacts of a vendor…my potential interviewee. Aye…you know, it usually isn’t a problem getting people to talk when you represent an organisation, but when you are writing a piece of news for an exam, who would bother? I was hesitant about calling the stranger, but I had to! Thankful…It turned out to be a rewarding 20mins phone interview! Fruitful! I was exceedingly cautious about not using any English or Singlish so that she could understand me, and now I know…I can speak proper Chinese!!! Hooray!!! =P Before we hung up, the Sichuan lady called me 小何 and that felt really 亲切! Hee…

The story took me half of the afternoon, and when I finally went down for my favourite noodles, the shop was having a “sanitary break” from 2.30 to 4.30pm. Sigh. Ended up trying 红烩鸡肉饭 at 康博思中餐部, and at 药膳 for dinner, mama and I ordered 铁板鸡串. Both my lunch and dinner were tomato-based dishes! Yeee…I conclude that I detest ketchup!!! =S

My second story was about Shaoyuan’s demolishment, and the undergraduates’ move to a new dormitory. Hmm, would it still be called Shaoyuan? While surfing the net, I could not find any negative Chinese news at all about the issue (the only one from Taiwan was blocked). Instead, I came across the following:

The toilets in China are primarily an oval shaped hole in the ground.

Hahahahaaaaaaa…!!! Mind you, this wasn’t just some comment from Tom, Dick or Harry. It was stated in a Guide to Study in China by Dickinson College in Pennsylvania! Somehow, I wished universities in Singapore could publish such guides too. Blatant explicit descriptions might have prevented the NUS exchange student in Xian from giving derogatory comments about China.

Ooooo yeah…I’m done with my two pieces of hard news!

gRacE =)

No comments:

Post a Comment